Social Networking sites have become part of the public consciousness, we are instantly checking them and updating to keep our friends and family informed on how we are, what we are doing and even what we are eating. But keeping safe on social networking sites is just as important as having fun, and here are some tips to remember when using them.
- Hide your personal information. Sites such as Facebook have an ‘About Me’ section that allows you to share your DOB, email address, phone number. If you want to share this information with your friends that is fine but make sure you are only sharing it with your friends. Check your security settings and change them from public (anyone can see them) to friends only, or change it so that only specific people can see this information. This means that you won’t be getting dodgy texts and emails for strangers.
- Don’t add people you don’t know. If someone wants to add you on a site and you don’t know them just press delete. They could be completely normal people but it is better to be safe then sorry.
- Think before you post. This is to make sure that you don’t write or post something embarrassing about yourself, or about someone else. It is not just friends who check your Facebook, but also families and current/potential employers. You don’t want to ruin your job prospects or your friends because you didn’t think about something you were posting.
- Make a strong password. If you want to make sure your social networking accounts are being kept safe and secure, create good passwords for them. Use a variation of letters, numbers and symbols to make your password unique and harder to guess.
- Invest and Update Security Software. Social Networking sites can be rife with risky links, and clicking on one could unleash a nasty virus onto your computer. Be safe about links and make sure that you have up to date security software to ensure you computer stays safe.
Stay cautious when on social networking sites, as long as you are safe you can continue to have fun.